Why Choose Portuguese Laurel Hedging?
Beyond its undeniable beauty, Portuguese Laurel hedges offer several advantages:
- Fast growth: Enjoy a mature hedge in a relatively short time with Portuguese Laurel instant hedging.
- Low maintenance: Requires minimal pruning and thrives in most soil types, making it a perfect low-maintenance hedging option.
- Evergreen appeal: Maintains its vibrant foliage year-round, adding winter interest to your evergreen Portuguese laurel hedges.
- Formal elegance: Creates a clean, defined aesthetic that complements various garden styles, elevating your outdoor space with Portuguese laurel hedging.
- Air purification: Contributes to a healthier environment by absorbing pollutants, making Portuguese Laurel instant hedges an eco-friendly choice.
Why Choose The Tree & Hedge Company?
We are your trusted partner for all things Portuguese Laurel hedging. Here’s why you should choose us:
- Premium quality plants: We source our hedges from reputable nurseries, ensuring healthy and robust specimens for your Portuguese Laurel hedges.
- Expert advice: Our knowledgeable team can guide you through every step, from selection to planting and aftercare, ensuring your Portuguese Laurel hedging thrives.
- Seamless service: We offer a complete package, including supply, delivery, and professional installation for all your Portuguese Laurel hedge needs.
- Exceptional customer service: We are committed to exceeding your expectations and ensuring your satisfaction with your Portuguese Laurel hedging.
From Supply to Stunning Hedge: Our Services
Supply: Choose from a variety of sizes and heights to suit your specific needs, whether you prefer tall or shorter Portuguese laurel hedging.
Delivery: We deliver directly to your property, ensuring the safe and timely arrival of your new instant hedges.
Installation: Our skilled team will plant your hedge with precision and care, guaranteeing optimal growth.
Invest in a Portuguese Laurel Hedge Today
Transform your garden into a private oasis with a stunning Portuguese laurel hedge. Contact Tree & Hedge Company today to discuss your project and receive a free, no-obligation quote. We’re ready to help you bring your vision to life!
In the meantime, take a look at our projects or frequently asked questions.
When to prune a Portuguese Laurel hedge?
- Ideally: Prune in late spring/early summer (June-July) after flowering for best recovery.
- Alternatively: Prune in late winter/early spring (Feb-Mar) for earlier growth, but sacrifice some spring flowers.
- Bonus: Light trim in late summer for formal hedges. Minor adjustments throughout spring/summer for informal ones.
- Heavy pruning: Late winter/early spring while dormant, but avoid drastic cuts.
How to prune a Portuguese Laurel hedge?
Here’s a condensed guide on pruning Portuguese laurel hedges:
- Sharp hedge shears or loppers
- Pruning saw (optional for thick branches)
- Choose your timing: Ideally, prune after flowering (late spring/early summer) or before buds open (late winter/early spring). Avoid very cold periods.
- Start at the top: Work your way down the hedge, maintaining the desired height and shape. Use a straightedge for even results.
- Cut outwards: Aim for diagonal cuts just above outward-facing buds to encourage bushier growth.
- Thin selectively: Remove diseased, dead, or crossing branches to improve air circulation and light penetration.
- Don’t over-prune: Avoid removing more than ⅓ of the growth at once, especially for mature hedges.
- Clean cuts: Use sharp tools for clean cuts that heal faster and reduce disease risk.
- Apply fungicide: After pruning, treat the hedge with a suitable fungicide to prevent disease.
Is a Portuguese Laurel a good hedge?
Whether a Portuguese laurel is a good hedge for you depends on your specific needs and priorities. Here’s a breakdown of its pros and cons to help you decide:
- Fast-growing: Creates a dense, effective hedge quickly.
- Evergreen: Provides year-round privacy and screening.
- Hardy: Tolerates most soil types, coastal conditions, and moderate frost.
- Versatile: Can be pruned into formal or informal shapes.
- Low maintenance: Requires minimal pruning compared to other hedges.
- Wildlife friendly: Flowers and berries attract pollinators.
- Potentially invasive: May spread aggressively depending on your climate and local regulations.
- Toxic: Berries and leaves are poisonous to humans and pets if ingested.
- Pruning: Regular pruning is necessary to maintain shape and density.
- Susceptible to diseases: Can be affected by fungal diseases if not cared for properly.
- Slow to establish: Young plants may need additional care for the first few years.
Annual Growth Rate
3.0m – 6.0m+ –
3.0m – 6.0m+
3.0m – 6.0m+ –
3.0m – 6.0m+
Prices are to give a general indication of cost for premium mature trees and Hedges. Additional costs for delivery, installation & maintenance should be considered. For a bespoke project cost please contact our dedicated sales team for expert advice & a fixed quotation.
Speak to us
If you have any questions, or if you’d like to order; speak to our friendly team today!