What is an English Yew Hedge?
English yew hedges, also known as Taxus Baccata, are a dense, evergreen hedge made from long-living yew trees. These hedges offer privacy, wind protection, and timeless elegance for UK gardens. While low-maintenance and adaptable, be aware of their slow growth, size potential, and poisonous nature. Most of the plant is poisonous with exception to the red surrounds of the berries, known as arils, which are a food course for birds and other wildlife.
Why Choose English Yew Instant Hedging?
There are many benefits of choosing an English Yew instant hedge:
- Instant Privacy and Screening: Unlike traditional hedges that take years to reach maturity, yew instant hedges provide immediate seclusion and visual barriers. Imagine enjoying your garden without unwanted eyes, sheltered from the wind and noise pollution.
- Dense, Evergreen Beauty: English yews boast deep green, needle-like foliage that remains vibrant throughout the year. Their dense growth creates an impenetrable wall, adding a touch of sophistication and evergreen charm to your landscape.
- Low Maintenance & Slow Growth: Yew instant hedges are the epitome of low-maintenance wonders. They require minimal pruning compared to other fast-growing hedges, saving you precious time and effort. Their slow growth rate also means less frequent trimming, allowing you to relish their evergreen elegance for years to come.
- Versatility and Adaptability: These versatile beauties thrive in various soil conditions. They perform well in both sun and partial shade, making them adaptable to diverse garden settings.
English Yew Hedge Pricing:
The pricing below is based on a minimum order of 25 linear metres / 82 ft. Contact us for best prices over 55 linear metres.
1.8m / 6ft Tall hedge
- Supply and delivery = £303.60 per metre
- Supply, deliver and installation = £369.36 per metre
1.5m / 5ft Tall hedge
- Supply and delivery = £ 258.00 per metre
- Supply, delivery and installation = £324.36 per metre
1.2m / 4ft Tall hedge
- Supply and delivery = £219.00 per metre
- Supply, delivery and installation = £284.76 per metre
Please note: Taller and lower heights of English yew hedges are also available.
Why Choose The Tree & Hedge Company?
Choosing The Tree & Hedge Company for your instant yew hedging supply, delivery, and installation means investing in quality, expertise, and convenience. We are passionate about helping you create the garden of your dreams, and our yew instant hedges are the perfect foundation for your outdoor space.
The Tree & Hedge Company: Your One-Stop Shop for English Yew Hedge Perfection:
- Supply: We source our yew instant hedges from reputable growers, ensuring the highest quality and standards. Our comprehensive selection caters to all your garden needs, from short hedges for borders to tall ones for complete privacy.
- Delivery: We offer convenient delivery options throughout the UK, bringing your yew instant hedge directly to your doorstep. Our team of experts will ensure your yew instant hedges arrive in pristine condition, ready to transform your garden.
- Installation: Our team of horticulturists can provide professional installation services, ensuring your yew instant hedge thrives from the get-go. We handle all aspects of planting, from site preparation to proper spacing and watering, guaranteeing optimal growth and success.
If you are considering installing a yew instant hedge, contact The Tree & Hedge Company today to discuss your requirements. We will help you choose the right hedge for your needs and ensure that it is properly planted and maintained.
In the meantime, take a look at our projects or frequently asked questions.
When do I need to trim an English Yew hedge?
The ideal timing for trimming your yew hedge depends on its age and desired shape:
Young Yew Hedges (First Few Years):
Focus on shaping: Trim lightly throughout the growing season (spring, summer, early autumn) to encourage dense growth and maintain the desired shape.
Frequency: Aim for 2-3 light trims per year, focusing on side shoots and avoiding heavy pruning at the top.
Benefits: Early shaping promotes bushier growth and prevents gaps.
Established Yew Hedges (Several Years Old):
Maintaining height and width: Once the hedge reaches its desired size, you can reduce the frequency of trimming to once or twice a year.
Timing: The best time for major trims is late summer or early autumn (August to October). This allows new growth to harden before winter and prevents bare patches.
Formal hedges: For a more formal look, you can trim again in late spring (April-May) to maintain the sharp edges.
Informal hedges: Informal hedges can be trimmed less frequently, but it’s still recommended to give them a light trim once a year to maintain their shape and health.
How fast does a Yew hedge grow?
The growth rate of a yew hedge can vary depending on several factors, but they’re generally considered slow to moderately fast-growing. Here’s a breakdown:
Young yews (first few years):
Typically grow around 20-30cm (8-12 inches) per year in ideal conditions.
Regular light pruning can even encourage denser growth in young hedges.
Established yews (after several years):
Can reach growth rates up to 30-40cm (12-16 inches) per year under optimal conditions.
Once established, they may require less frequent pruning than other fast-growing hedges.
Is a Yew hedge poisonous?
Yes, a yew hedge is poisonous, with all parts of the yew tree (except for the fleshy red arils around the seeds) containing toxic alkaloids called taxines. These alkaloids can be harmful if ingested, even in small amounts, and can cause serious health problems in humans and animals.
It’s crucial to take the following precautions when planting and maintaining a yew hedge:
Keep children and pets away from the hedge.
Wear gloves when pruning or trimming the hedge.
Dispose of clippings carefully and avoid composting them.
Clean any tools used on the hedge thoroughly after use.
Be especially cautious with fallen berries, as they may be attractive to children and animals.
While the beauty and benefits of yew hedges are undeniable, being aware of their toxicity is essential for ensuring the safety of your family and pets. Always prioritise safety when dealing with yew hedges and seek immediate medical attention if you suspect any poisoning.
Annual Growth Rate
3.0m – 6.0m+ –
3.0m – 6.0m+
3.0m – 6.0m+ –
3.0m – 6.0m+
Prices are to give a general indication of cost for premium mature trees and Hedges. Additional costs for delivery, installation & maintenance should be considered. For a bespoke project cost please contact our dedicated sales team for expert advice & a fixed quotation.
Speak to us
If you have any questions, or if you’d like to order; speak to our friendly team today!